It is not uncommon for people to make New Year’s resolutions surrounding drug and alcohol addiction recovery. However, it is critical to consider what is right for your unique situation. If you need help and support to succeed with your resolutions for addiction recovery, you must work together with professionals to design an effective addiction treatment plan.
At Serenity House Detox Florida, we can offer supportive resources to help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions for recovery. Our detox programs combine medication, behavioral therapies, holistic therapies, and support to help you heal inside and out. To learn more about our comprehensive detox treatments, reach out to our team today at 866.294.5306.
Should You Make New Year’s Resolutions for Recovery?
When you are in drug and alcohol treatment, you may be thinking about the future and hoping for good things to come. Setting positive goals to keep yourself focused on recovery is highly motivating. One of the key components of addiction treatment programs is learning how to set realistic goals and work toward achieving them through a series of actions.
There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to making resolutions for addiction recovery:
- Do not set your bar so high that you cannot realistically achieve your goals. It is essential to keep your goals attainable, or you will become discouraged.
- Make sure your goals are things you can control. You cannot fix relationships, for example, without others helping to do so. It is wise to set goals that you have the power to achieve regardless of how others in your life behave.
- Ensure your resolutions support your recovery. Your priority is to overcome addiction and live a healthy lifestyle, and your goals should reflect that desire.
- Choose resolutions that can help you and challenge you to some point. While you want your goals to be realistic, you also want some level of challenge involved so you can feel proud of your achievement.
- To help maintain positive momentum, it is best to break your goals down into smaller mini-goals. Achieving small wins more frequently motivates you and helps you stay on track for long-term success.
The Problem with Resolutions for Addiction Recovery
New Year’s resolutions are something many people make and never take seriously and essentially invest time into empty promises to themselves. When you are in drug and alcohol recovery, you already know how bad life can get and how important it is to have consistent recovery help. When making resolutions, fully commit yourself to them. Set out to make them possible, which may mean planning for how they will work. You can enlist the help of a therapist or addiction counselor who can guide you through the planning process.
Here are some examples of plans for achieving your goals:
- If you want to eat healthy meals, create a menu to stick with for the coming months.
- If your goal is to find a good job, write down the steps to achieving this (resume, interviewing practice, and so on). Then, you will have real tools to use to get there.
- If you hope to improve your relationships, vow to become a better partner, parent, child, sibling, or coworker. Learn relationship-building skills in therapy or by reading books or articles on the topic, then practice them with your loved ones.
Take resolutions seriously, and they can prove to be one of the best investments you make in yourself. However, it is also essential not to overpromise to yourself. Disappointment or too much stress can make life too complicated for you. Ensure your resolutions fit into your needs.
Making the Biggest Resolution to Get Recovery Help
While you may not yet be in recovery, you may be thinking about making your New Year’s resolution to get help. Detoxing and healing from drug and alcohol addiction is one of the best decisions you can make for yourself. If this is your resolution, our professionals can work with you to make it possible. The first step is to contact us and learn more about the programs we offer, including:
- Residential detox services
- Men’s detox services
- Holistic detox services
- Medical detox services
- Women’s detox services
Achieve Your New Year’s Resolutions for Recovery at Serenity House Detox Florida
Resolutions for New Year’s might be something you are focused on, but they are not the only thing to see right now. Recognize your needs today for help. If you need recovery help or are just starting on your journey to health improvement, reach out to our team at Serenity House Detox Florida. Let us provide you with an addiction treatment plan to help you achieve your best year yet. Call 866.294.5306 or connect with us online for support.