Alcohol abuse is a widespread phenomenon. Millions of people around the globe experience addiction to alcohol and use it in higher amounts than recommended. But what exactly is an alcohol use disorder? When is a person addicted to alcohol, and when are they just enjoying their life?
Signs of Alcohol Abuse
There are certain signs of alcohol abuse that indicate a disorder. Generally, there is a distinction between alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. Alcohol dependence is a maladaptive pattern of drinking, which leads to significant stress or impairment for the user. It manifests itself by three or more of the following criteria when they occur in one period of 12 months:
- A significantly higher amount to achieve intoxication or the desired effect or a very diminished effect when using the same amount of alcohol as before
- A characteristic syndrome of alcohol withdrawal
- Drinking more alcohol than intended over a long period of time
- One or more futile attempts too cut down or control drinking
- Important activities for socializing or recreation stop to drink
- Spend a lot of time acquiring, using, or recovering from alcohol, and drinking despite knowing it has negative effects
In contrast, alcohol use disorder meets at least one of the following symptoms in one period of 12 months:
- Repeated use of alcohol in situations which causes physical hazard like driving a car or operating a machine while being under the influence
- Recurrent alcohol use that results in a failure of fulfilling major obligations at work, in school or at home like repeated absence from work, neglect of one’s household or children
- Legal problems connected to alcohol use like being arrested because of disorderly conduct caused by alcohol
- Continued use of alcohol despite having repeated problems in important areas of life like work and family like arguments with one’s spouse about alcohol etc.
Alcohol Abuse Therapy
If a person suffers from alcohol abuse and experiences addiction to the drug, the only help is to undergo a thorough therapy at an alcohol addiction treatment center in Ft. Lauderdale. The therapy consists of different aspects that include psychotherapy and medication. The patient gets more information on the causes of his condition and learns how to deal with it effectively. Moreover, they get supplementary medication that helps them deal with their condition.
Therapy is available in an alcohol use disorder treatment center, where the patient stays for several days or weeks to cure their condition and become free from the drug and the addiction.
Do You Need Help?
Do you or one of your friends or relatives suffer from alcohol use disorder? If so, there is help out there. At our alcohol addiction treatment center in Ft. Lauderdale, we provide the best therapy possible. You will learn more about your condition and its causes, and how to deal with it effectively. Contact us now 866.294.5306.