A large percentage of people who have mental health disorders use drugs or alcohol to self-medicate. These substances can effectively hide the symptoms of mental health conditions, making it difficult for anyone to recognize what’s happening. A person struggling with mental health disorders needs treatment for this condition and their addiction to heal. At Serenity House Detox Florida, you can start on that path.
How Does Addiction Impact Mental Health?
In some situations, a person with an underlying mental health disorder may seek out drugs and alcohol to combat the symptoms they have. These symptoms, such as being unable to focus or worrying all of the time, can lead to harmful coping mechanisms such as using drugs or alcohol. Negative thought processes, often brought on by the mental health disorder, can easily be hidden when drugs are present.
For example, a person with anxiety may use alcohol consistently throughout the day. Alcohol works as a depressant for the central nervous system. That means it slows down the thinking process and reduces some of those intense worries and racing thoughts. It can also help to slow the heart and breathing rate. That helps a person dealing with anxiety systems to feel better. From the outside, a person seems to only have an alcohol addiction, though they have a mental health disorder that also needs treatment.
What Are Some Common Mental Health Disorders That Cause This?
Any mental health disorder has negative symptoms that can lead to the abuse of medications or illicit drugs. Some of the most common include:
- Depression: A state in which a person feels profoundly sad, with or without cause, and cannot seem to stop thinking about the negative aspects of life.
- Anxiety: This is a condition in which a person feels anxious all of the time. It may even lead them to pull out of activities or away from people to avoid situations that increase that anxiety.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: Those with PTSD have some trauma in their past that the brain did not correctly process, leading to flashbacks and painful memories.
- Bipolar disorder: This condition includes drastic highs and lows, ranging from high levels of energy, anxiety, and intensity to deep depression.
- Schizophrenia: A more complicated mental health disorder occurs when a person has broken from reality and may experience hallucinations or paranoia.
If you’re suffering from a mental health condition that has led to substance abuse, finding simultaneous treatment
How Are Mental Health Disorders Treated?
The goal of treatment is to improve both mental health disorders and addiction at the same time. Having two conditions is referred to as co-occurring disorders. Dual diagnosis treatment allows a person to gain stability in both areas.
At Serenity House Detox Florida, we begin treatment with detox. It is critical to remove the toxins from the body as a first step. That allows for therapists and counselors to recognize the symptoms of mental health complications. Once that happens, it is then possible to treat the underlying mental health disorder with medication and psychotherapy.
During and after detox, our team works closely with individuals to help them manage both conditions effectively. We teach you how to do that through therapies such as:
- Individual therapy program
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy program
- Dialectical behavior therapy program
- Meditation therapy program
- Nutrition therapy program
- Evidence-based therapy program
Each therapy creates a new way to learn and grow. A person with co-occurring disorders needs help for both conditions at the same time.
What’s Limiting Your Success? Learn More at Serenity House Detox Florida
Invest in your mental health by working through your addiction. At Serenity House Detox Florida, we provide the tools to start the process. Learn more about our programs for mental health and addiction treatment when you call 866.294.5306 or reach out to us online.