Is it possible to learn how to prevent a panic attack? People have panic attacks for many reasons. Quite often, they are due to an underlying mental health disorder that needs treatment. It’s your body and brain’s way of reaching out for help and struggling to manage an intense situation. That’s why it is so important for you to learn how to get help. At Serenity House Detox Florida, we can provide that type of support for you.
Here’s How to Prevent a Panic Attack
If you are in the moment and feeling panic rising, there are several things you can do to help prevent a full-blown attack from occurring. It’s a good idea to learn how to prevent a panic attack in advance of the symptoms of one occurring. Write down these strategies and carry them with you so you can react fast enough to stop it from occurring.
- Deep breathing is the most important first step. Take in a deep breath through your nose, hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale through your mouth. Doing this, you are delivering oxygen to the brain to stop it from hyperventilating. You are also slowing your heart rate slightly.
- Recognize what’s happening. Knowing that you are having a panic attack can be rewarding in itself. It allows you to recognize that you are not dealing with a heart attack or another type of intense physical reaction.
- Close your eyes to create detachment. You want to be able to create a break between whatever is happening to you and what’s happening in your brain. This is an important type of reality check. When you close your eyes, you can focus on you.
- Think about what you feel. While your eyes are closed, bring yourself back to reality. Feel the ground under your feet. Touch your clothing to feel what’s really there. You can also focus on a single object (with your eyes open) to help you to gain this reality check.
- Work to reduce muscle tension. Sit down. Place your hands at your side. Start at the top of your body and work downwards. Consciously relax each one of your muscles, feeling the tightness leave them. Breathe deeply as you do so.
There are other ways to help, as well. For example, some people can reduce the risk of a panic attack by doing some type of light exercise. This helps to get your endorphins moving through your body. These feel-good hormones can give you some relief you need at that moment.
You can also simply close your eyes and go to a place that is soothing and relaxing to you. For others, it is important to repeat a phrase that is important to you. Saying something like “I’m okay right now” can help to alleviate much of the stress and frustration you feel at that moment.
Explore What’s Really Under Your Panic Attacks
For some people, there is a need to address what is causing their panic attacks. For example, you may benefit from detox therapies and support if you are using drugs and panicking because you do not have any more available to you. You may also need to work through dual diagnosis treatment if you have substance use disorders along with mental health complications.
There may be other factors to consider. Sometimes, there are risks within your health that may be contributing to this. Other times, you may benefit from meditation therapy services or behavioral therapy support. Our team at Serenity House Detox Florida can provide you with the tools you need to regain health and wellness. The key is to realize there is help available to you and that you can overcome these challenges.
Explore Solutions for Your Needs at Serenity House Detox Florida
When you learn how to prevent a panic attack, you may feel relief and a bit of calmness. Yet, prevention like this can only be beneficial for some time. You may need to look deeper into what’s causing your mental health needs. That’s where our team at Serenity House Detox Florida can help you. Call us today to learn more about the treatment we offer at 866.294.5306.