Many experts are quick to point out there are as many as 200 – 300 different drugs out on the streets of America. That number includes prescription medications, designer or synthetic drugs and illicit drugs like cocaine, heroin, crack, and marijuana. By the way, experts include alcohol in this number, and we will include it in our discussion. For this article, we will discuss what most experts consider to be the most addictive substances.
Before we begin the discussion about the most addictive substances, we thought it prudent to disclose the criteria experts use. Generally, there are three things psychiatrists look at to determine a drug’s addictive qualities. These three criteria include:
Harmfulness–the degree to which a substance can cause long-term physical and psychological damage
Dependency–the substance’s ability to create dependency, both physical and psychological
Social Effect–the drugs capacity to create collateral damage around the user
The Most Addictive Substances
Using the above criteria, experts identify as many as 20 substances that are highly addictive. From number one to number five, we share a little bit about the five most addictive substances in America.
1. Heroin–This should come as no surprise, considering the country is in the middle of an opiate abuse epidemic. Heroin creates a rush of euphoria. Unfortunately, the effects have a short life, requiring the user to keep using and they can become addicted within weeks.
2. Cocaine–This is the perfect drug for people who need energy and stimulation. In the long run, the side effects can be quite harsh.
3. Nicotine–This substance, found in cigarettes, does create addiction, though not in the same way as other drugs. The short-term side effects are minimal, but the long-term health issues are deadly.
4. Barbiturates–People use these substances to calm nerves and battle sleep disorders. They require time to form an addiction, but the subsequent side effects are troublesome.
5. Alcohol–As the top recreational substance, alcohol is a common escape substance for people who are experiencing life issues–good and bad. It produces highs and horrible lows.
Treatment at Serenity House Detox
Regardless of the substance, Serenity House Detox has the right detox program. We are proud to offer premier drug and alcohol addiction detox in Florida. Our programs include:
- Alcohol detox
- Heroin detox and pain pill detox
- Barbiturate and Amphetamine detox
- Gender-specific detox program
- Individual counseling
If you have an active addiction to one of the most addictive substances, you will eventually need help. When you do, you can start treatment at one of our Serenity House Detox facilities. The road to recovery begins with one simple phone call to 866-294-5306.