Destructive thoughts and emotions can have a significant influence on a person’s behavior and normal functioning. Cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques are employed to correct such ideas as well as teach people recovering from drug or alcohol addiction how to cope with triggers to maintain sobriety after rehab. Find a cognitive-behavioral therapy program in Florida, like the one offered at Serenity House Detox, to help you or your loved one deal with negative thought patterns by calling 866.294.5306.
What Is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy teaches individuals how to identify, challenge, and replace destructive or disturbing thought patterns with more objective and realistic ones. Unlike other treatments, it addresses your current problems instead of focusing on past issues. It offers a more practical way to improve your state of mind, which can significantly enhance productivity. The strategies employed across different types of cognitive-behavioral therapy include:
- Learning to identify negative thoughts
- Setting goals
- Developing problem-solving skills to help you cope with day-to-day challenges
- Self-monitoring your behaviors, experiences, and emotions to see how they affect your behavior
- Preparing for uncomfortable situations through role-play
- Adopting relaxation techniques to calm your mind and relax your body
What Are the Different Types of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an umbrella term for a range of treatments and techniques that work by identifying and correcting unhelpful thoughts and behaviors. CBT techniques come in the form of structured psychotherapies or self-help materials. Some types of cognitive-behavioral therapy commonly employed include:
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): DBT is used to treat borderline personality disorder and suicidal and self-harm tendencies. It employs techniques like mindfulness and emotional regulation to help the patient learn how to cope with adversity.
- Cognitive therapy: It teaches patients how to recognize distorted and inaccurate thinking patterns and change them. It is an effective therapy for treating depression and anxiety disorders.
- Cognitive processing therapy (CPT): CPT is an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder. It helps patients to recognize inaccurate thoughts and avoid destructive coping mechanisms like drug abuse.
- Behavior therapy: This type of therapy seeks to identify and change negative behaviors. It evaluates how the environment and other people’s mental states influence an individual’s learned behaviors.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy: It aims at identifying and changing irrational beliefs and thought patterns.
What Are the Advantages of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
For you to reap the full benefits of CBT, you have to be committed to the process because, unlike medication, the therapist can only direct and advise you. It would be best if you then made a conscious effort to implement the skills you acquired.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy can treat mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and obsessive-compulsive disorder where medicine has failed. It offers a long-term solution. Patients can incorporate the skills they attain from CBT into their everyday life even after they complete treatment.
CBT takes a very structured approach, making it easier to dispense it in different formats such as groups, mobile applications, and self-help groups. The program takes a relatively short time and offers a quicker solution than talk therapy.
Find Therapy at Serenity House Detox Florida
At Serenity House Detox Florida, we offer a wide range of cognitive-behavioral therapy programs to address mental health disorders and co-morbidity. We combine medical detox with CBT programs to ensure that you maintain a sober lifestyle, in addition to treating the addiction. Other therapies we offer in Florida include:
- Addiction counseling services
- Individual therapy program
- Group therapy program
- Family therapy program
- Meditation therapy program
Do you experience disturbing thoughts that hinder your productivity? We can help. Call Serenity House Detox Florida at 866.294.5306, or contact us online today to book a session with a therapist and start your cognitive-behavioral therapy.