You want to quit using heroin, but you’re afraid. What will it feel like? How long does heroin withdrawal last? Your heroin detox questions—answered.
Is There a Heroin Detox Timeline?
Everyone’s different. As a result, everyone’s withdrawal looks different, too. Typically, it takes between five and seven days to kick the habit physiologically. During this time, you go through a gamut of heroin withdrawal symptoms.
It starts with headaches, muscle pains, and restlessness. You go from sweating to freezing. A runny nose adds some irritation. How long does heroin withdrawal last at this mild phase?
It usually lasts about one to two days. Next, your withdrawal symptoms increase in discomfort. Your stomach muscles cramp. You’re tired but can’t sleep.
You’re shivering. Your heart rate may spike along with your blood pressure and body temperature. Strong drug cravings occupy your mind. Discomfort is now turning into pain.
How Long Does Heroin Withdrawal Last Overall?
A good-quality heroin detox program supports the process with medication. They make the withdrawal pain-free and keep you comfortable. They also prevent dehydration and subsequent health problems. The duration of this active withdrawal is about three to five days.
The actual length depends on your overall health and drug abuse history. If you’ve been using heroin for a long time, withdrawal takes longer. People who use high doses also take longer to withdraw. Someone who’s been using for a couple of months or a year won’t have as long a withdrawal time.
How Therapists at a Detox Facility Support You
There’s a broad range of modalities that help you overcome your heroin addiction. Not one treatment protocol will work for everyone. Therapists know this, and they adjust treatment to fit your situation. Examples of modalities include:
- One-on-one talk therapy that helps you talk through your plans for sobriety
- Group therapy sessions that allow peer counseling and support as well as addiction education
- Gender-specific addiction detox programs, which ensures that you feel safe and secure at the facility
- Behavioral therapy as a means of recognizing negative patterns that you want to change
- Dual diagnosis assessment and treatment to assist with the management of co-occurring mental health challenges
- Nutritional education that gets you back on track to follow a healthy lifestyle
- Meditation therapy as a form of holistic support that assists with stress and trigger control
Moreover, you are under constant medical supervision. Monitoring ensures your comfort and safety. It lets medical professionals intervene if necessary. By providing proactive pharmacological support, you don’t suffer the pain that most people associate with heroin detox.
Reaching out for Help
So, how long does heroin withdrawal last? A short week is about all the time that you’ll spend at the detox facility. Why risk a painful withdrawal episode at home when a pain-free option is right here? Contact Serenity House Detox today by calling 866-294-5306.