Depression and anxiety are some of the most common mental health disorders in the United States. Many of those struggling with a mental health disorder find themselves self-medicating with alcohol. Alcohol seems like a safe way to take a break from the stress of the day. What’s wrong with having a drink after a long day? The problem is, if you are using alcohol as a way to deal with emotions or other problems, it’s hurting you long term. It’s also increasing your risk of developing alcohol addiction or dependency. Although a drink or two when stressed does not seem like a big deal, those drinks add up. At Serenity House Detox Florida, we want to provide you with the tools to overcome what’s happening.
Why Do You Drink?
It’s a hard question to ask yourself, but one that can have a profound difference in your life long term. Self-medicating with alcohol occurs when a person is using alcohol to change the way they physically feel or their emotions. You may be doing it without even realizing it. Here are some examples:
- The stress at work is too much. You need a drink at the end of the day before you go home.
- You get angry at the frustration at home. You retreat to your own space to have a few beers.
- That big meeting is coming. A shot before it, right in your office, takes the edge off and gives you confidence.
- You need a drink before you can deal with your family.
- You drink to cover up the thoughts that pop into your mind about your past.
- You use alcohol as a way to manage depression and anxiety. It helps you keep your cool.
- You can’t stand thinking about a lost one’s death. You need a drink to stop the guilt you feel.
There are many reasons you may be using alcohol. Often, drinking for these reasons leads to addiction. You may feel the need to drink more even though you know it is not healthy or safe. You may develop dependence, in which your body craves alcohol if you don’t have it. It is important to reach out for help if you find you are losing control of your drinking.
What You Can Do About It Now
If you are self-medicating with alcohol, the first step is to recognize there is a problem. Then, it’s time to get help. Some people need to start with our alcohol detox center. It’s a way to break the physical dependency you have so you can deal with what’s happening. This is typically the first step in the recovery process. It is not a final cure for addiction.
From there, you can work with your trusted counselors to get through the addiction but also through the underlying cause of it. This may be mental illness, such as depression and anxiety, or it could be trauma. We can offer the help you need through programs such as:
- Individual therapy sessions
- Group therapy sessions
- Family therapy programs
- Meditation therapy treatment
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
Are You Ready for Change? Call Serenity House Detox Florida
If you are self-medicating with alcohol, you know there are underlying health issues you need to deal with right now. You do not have to take on this battle on your own. Instead, let our team at Serenity House Detox Florida guide you. Call us today at 866.294.5306 to learn more about our treatment options. Addiction does not have to control your life forever. It is important to reach out to addiction professionals to get the best possible treatment. Get the help you need today.