It takes hard work to persevere and complete an addiction treatment program. However, that’s just the start of what will be a lifelong effort to maintain your sobriety. And you’re going to need support to help you stay focused on your goal of living a healthy life. Addiction aftercare can play an essential role in preventing you from relapsing by learning to manage triggers that will inevitably pop up as you learn to navigate a sober lifestyle. For more information about the aftercare programs available at our detox center, please contact Serenity House Detox Florida today at 866.294.5306.
What Is an Aftercare Program?
The purpose of an addiction aftercare program is to make sure people in recovery have access to care once they complete addiction treatment. The more support individuals receive after completing a rehab program, the higher their chances are of staying in recovery.
There’s no set outline that everyone must follow when it comes to aftercare treatment. Rehab programs usually tailor them to fit the needs of an individual. However, the goals of aftercare programs tend to be the same, which are:
- Helping people maintain their recovery from substance abuse
- Keeping individuals from relapsing
- Learning to build more rewarding relationships
- Encouraging individuals to find a purpose for living other than substance abuse
Aftercare after recovery is essential to individuals with long-term substance abuse problems because they must retrain how their brains work. It can take time for it to start functioning normally. People often experience psychological impacts even after their bodies are free from toxic substances. Aftercare programs help individuals navigate these issues.
What Are Different Types of Aftercare Programs?
There’s a lot of variation when it comes to aftercare programs. Good ones work to provide clients with the most effective treatments for their condition. Some may put more focus on helping individuals work on personal relationships that need repairing. Others address more practical concerns like finding housing and transportation to help individuals get back and forth. There are aftercare programs available to help people learn to rebuild their finances or learn a new trade.
The most important thing about an aftercare program is that it provides the right balance for a client. Too much of one thing can cause neglect in another area, leading to the addiction aftercare program not doing enough to address the core of a person’s issues. Successful aftercare programs typically contain the following components.
- Health: These services measure a person’s progress in overcoming physical symptoms of addiction. That can include mental health and substance abuse evaluations, drug and alcohol testing, medication services, and education around medical and addiction issues.
- Housing: Housing services focus on helping individuals locate safe housing that provides stability and support after completing an addiction program.
- Community: Many aftercare services help people find ways to connect to those around them and hopefully forge solid and supportive relationships.
- Sense of Purpose: Individuals learn how to find meaning in life through employment, furthering their education, or taking on more family responsibilities.
To learn about the benefits of aftercare, please contact our team today at 866.294.5306.
How Long Does Aftercare Last?
The length of time people spend in aftercare depends on what’s best for them. Some people never leave aftercare, staying in some form of addiction treatment long after they complete a rehab program. It’s about what helps individuals adjust to a life in recovery and provides them with the support they need to remain sober.
Speaking with a therapist or trusted physician can help people figure out how much time they should spend in aftercare. Many professionals recommend at least a year of aftercare services for those working to overcome severe addiction issues.
Seek Support at Serenity House Detox Florida Today
There are no promises when it comes to addiction treatment. Serenity House Detox Florida can be where you start figuring out how to live life clean and sober. Our programs and services include: