Group therapy is a great way to treat addiction and promote community. There are many group therapy activities that can be used to fit the specific needs of participants. With the right structure, group therapy can benefit many struggling with addiction.
What is Group Therapy?
Group therapy in Ft. Lauderdale consists of a counselor overseeing a therapy session of two or more people with the common goal of reducing addiction symptoms and supporting the recovery of each participant. Most of the time, participants meet for the first time at the detox center, but become a support system for each other throughout their recovery process.
Finding other people that are on the same journey as you is beneficial to recovery. You can bond over your common goals and struggles while knowing you are not alone. While there are many different therapy ideas, there are 5 common models of group therapy:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: groups that focus on teaching life skills and changing the way participants think, and in turn, participants’ behaviors
- Interpersonal Process: focuses on how the brain works, how to form healthy coping skills and resolving childhood issues
- Psychoeducational: these groups focus on addiction education and the consequences of destructive behaviors
- Skill Development: an educational group that teaches skills that are needed in the group
- Support Group: a group that creates community; participants share their stories and work together to solve problems
Group Therapy Activities
Different group therapy programs have different group therapy ideas. Activities depend on the needs of the group. However, there are common activities that are in common forms of group therapy. Group therapy activities used in the 5 models of group therapy are as follows:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: projects, group discussions
- Interpersonal Process: group discussions, sharing of personal testimonies
- Psychoeducational: watching videos, lectures, audio, and other educational activities
- Skill Development: educational activities, role-play
- Support Group: sharing of personal testimonies and group discussions
Of course, there are other group therapy activities that are used depending on the group. Some groups do arts and crafts, group outings, and much more. In general, group therapy activities are tailored to the needs of the group.
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Provides Community Support
Group therapy gives participants a support group of people who understand what they are going through. It helps many detox patients increase their self-esteem, and reduce guilt. Serenity House Detox & Recovery offers support at both Jupiter and Fort Lauderdale locations.
In addition to group therapy activities, Serenity House offers various detox programs including alcohol, heroin, cocaine, painkillers, and prescription drug programs. Call 866.294.5306 today to start your journey to recovery. You are not alone! Serenity House Detox & Recovery provides you with the resources, support, and community you need to fight addiction.